by Naomi Coulter-Docherty and Neave Miller, Year 12
On Wednesday 23rd May 2018 a ‘Celebration of Dance’ Evening was held in the new state of the art upper dance studio. The evening involved two sell-out performances exhibiting a wide range of dance genres, including:
– Year 8 performing an upbeat Contemporary dance;
– Year 10, who performed two separate dances including their imaginative Contemporary piece;
– A solo performance by Sophie Robson from Year 11, who performed a Jazz number that she had performed as part of her GCSE exam;
– Year 12 and Year 13, who joined together to create a moving and powerful Contemporary piece for the Year 13s last show;
– Year 13, who also performed parts of their final exam, showing the audience their talent, and how much they have developed as dancers and performers.
The ‘Celebration of Dance’ Evening even included a K-POP dance performed by male students from Year 10 through to Year 13; all of the boys are self taught and extremely talented, and their dance made a great addition to our dance showcase as the audience enjoyed watching something fresh and new.
Students from Year 8 through to Year 13 were strongly supported and encouraged by their family, friends and most importantly their teachers from St Thomas More, who have worked hard to ensure the students can reach their full potential through both rehearsals and performances, to put them in a strong position to pursue a career in the Performing Arts.